[meteorite-list] Dwarf Planet 'Becoming A Comet' (2003 EL61)

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:43:40 -0600

Hi,

    Of course, 2003 EL61 presently has water
resurfacing going on, even though it orbits further
out than Neptune, so it must have a source of
internal heat to drive its "hydrovulcanism." With
its high density (3.2?), it could well be differentiated.

    The annoying thing is that the BBC (and only the
BBC) reported Brown's remarks at a seminar as a kind
of "science gossip." If Brown has orbital calculations
that show 2003 EL61 can be perturbed into the inner
solar system, he does not mention it on his website
nor has he published them.

    I think he got the idea from dynamicists who run
computer simulations of resonances and the like, rather
than an actual orbital calculation. We have observed far
too little of 2003 EL61's orbit to know it precisely to
determine that, at this point.

> It's just I don't think this thing is coming or has
> ever has come into the inner solar system before.

    After 4+ billion years in the same orbit, I think it's
pretty unlikely too. That's a good thing...

Sterling K. Webb