[meteorite-list] Graphite Nodule 1429g - surprize

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:10:46 -0800 (PST)

"CD's" found on and around the rim of Meteor Crater
were subjected to much greater pressures than the
fragments which fell off the swarm such as those found
in Canyon Diablo. The explanation I was given was
that the pressure was sufficient to convert some of
the graphite into diamonds. These can push the saw out
of the way or wear it out. I've a slice where the tip
pf the diamond is visible under a microscope. While
these aren't nano sized as in urelites they are about
the size of the diamonds used in blades. As far as I
know, the diamonds are only found in rim recoveries.

Elton

--- PolandMET <marcin at polandmet.com> wrote:

I start cutting and ........ damn this not work.
This piece of graphite with some veins of iron is hard
like......... urelite ?

To cut slice in this one I need 20+ minutes. The
reason of that could be that this nodule is full of
nano diamonds ? Anyone have any more experince in this
matter