[meteorite-list] do meteorites fluoresce??

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:49:04 -0800 (PST)

Hello Tom, List,

In the "for what its worth" category, the degree of
fluorescence in feldspar chondrules is the means for
defining the intermediate grades within the 3 grades,(
e.g 3.1, 3.2 , etc.) I don't know what wavelength is
the standard for that examination. If you've the
fluorscent microscope and knowing those standards you
might be able to observe this in common chondrite thin
sections but I think it would be in some form we
wouldn't easily recognize. A coverslip would of course
block UV, but uncovered slides attract lint which
glows brightly.

That said, my experience is the same as Tom's. I've
desperately and extensively looked for any SW/MW/LW
response to a standard mineral UV lamp and have yet to
find even a hint of fluorscence. What I know about
exciter ions suggest that what ever flourscence may
be, it will not be visible to the naked eye.

Elton