[meteorite-list] NEW LUNAR monzogabbro meteorite looks like aShergottite

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:03:27 -0800 (PST)

Oh yeah...Not a particulary remarkable entry at that.
Since gabbro has been found in lunar meteorites, it's
not particularly surprising this stuff is either.

Atrange group the feldspars. So many names based on
how much anorthosite is in them as a proportion to
secondary minerals. Yipe. I'm glad I'm not a
geologist. If I had to be I'd pick the moon over the
earth any day.

Rob McC

http://www.uwgb.edu/DutchS/PETROLGY/classification_of_igneous_rocks.htm.

> >> enjoy photo in this link and here is the
> >> classification done by doctor Albert Jambon from
> >> upvi Paris.
> >>

> >> there are other album including a new oriented
> >> Martian and a very fresh lodranites.
> >>
> >> all the best,
> >>
> >> aziz habibi
> >>

> >> Proposed Name NWA 4683
> >> Geographic Coordinates1
> >> undisclosed.
> >>
> >> Erfoud Morocco
> >>
> >> Find : october of 2006
> >>
> >> Major classification (group) Achondrite (Lunar
> >> monzogabbro)
> >>

> >> History: two pieces bought from nomads in Erfoud
> >> (Morocco).
> >>
> >> Physical characteristics: One stone broken in
> two
> >> pieces 68 and 409g. Dull black fusion crust on
> one
> >> side, weathered on the other side. It is a gray,
> >> coarse grained, pristine magmatic rock consisting
> of
> >> millimetric phenocrysts mainly of pyroxene and
> >> plagioclase.
> >>

> >> Petrography: A. Jambon, O. Boudouma and D.
> Badia.
> >> UPVI .
> >>
> >> The texture is best described as shergottitic
> like .
> >> Pyroxene are highly fractured while plagioclase
> >> laths, partly transformed to maskelynite, are
> only
> >> affected by a small number of fractures. Silica
> and
> >> silica-feldspar glass are minor components. A few
> >> impact melt patches underline the similarity with
> >> shergottites further. Ilmenite, baddeleyite,
> >> zirconolite, tranquilityite, pyrrhotite and
> metal.
> >> Fayalite associated with silica probably results
> >> from the dissociation of iron rich pyroxene.
> Minor
> >> terrestrial alteration.

=== message truncated ===