[meteorite-list] Fw: Meteors Light Up Morning Sky in Colorado

From: Jose Campos <josecamposcomet_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 22:46:23 -0000

Hi Gary,

By space debris, I meant several pieces of a MAN MADE spacecraft,
desintegrating thru the Earth's atmosphere.
Sorry about the confusion.
As regarding time, a meteor's visibility lasts only a few seconds, whereas
for man made space debris, as it travells at a much slower speed, it's
burning trail becomes visible for a few minutes. The video shown on CNN is
quite spectacular.
I have seen a similar event, some 20 yrs ago (?), at night, over the Indian
Ocean, when I was walking with friends on the beac front in Durban, South
Africa. This event was seen by many people. The next day, it was reported on
south african newspapers and TV.

The visibility of a meteor, even a -14 mag fireball, (that is as bright as
the full moon), will not last longer than a few seconds, at most.
Jos? Campos