[meteorite-list] NJO ownership

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 05:12:47 EST

OK Doug,

So it would have to burn coming in. I gotcha that far.

So...

Where was the fireball? Did no one at all see one?
Where was the sonic boom? Did no one at all hear one?
Where are the flowlines on the blue-black metal surface?
If it is from an interior piece of a late in flight break up, where are the
other pieces in the neighborhood?

On another chat board I saw tonight, there was this post:

"i think i know what it was,i called the police station in new jersy.it
looks like a piece of metal that flew out of a tub grinder,tub grinder is used to
grind tree stumps.saw a 80 lb piece of metal fly 200yards so a smaller piece
could fly more than that.that's why they are not saying anything."

Interesting.

Let me also ask this: If an "expert" was employed by an institution, that
has a paid legal staff to advise them on such things, if they thought it
might be a meteorite, but maybe a cleaned up Nantan, and not a fresh fall, would
they be a little hesitant to boldly both proclaim that it was an authentic
meteorite HOWEVER that they also felt in their professional expert opinion that
 a fraud was being perpetrated?

I am not saying that is the case here, but I am just asking how far would a
professional be willing to stick his neck out, just to see his name in the
paper? Only to maybe see their name as a defendant on a lawsuit down the road
if no fraud took place?

Or might an expert be inclined to make "no further comment" no matter what?

But Mark's link to the different video does seem to make it look a little
more gray and silver rather than brown or rusty and silver looking.

Just seems like there are a few pieces of the puzzle still missing.

I am sure if it is on the up and up we will know pretty quickly.

So if it is legit, what is a 13 ounce iron, almost but not quite witnessed
fall worth anyway? mt, do you want to take a new survey?

SA001

In a message dated 1/6/2007 1:28:04 A.M. Central Standard Time,