[meteorite-list] Irons DON'T form Fusion Crust's - yes they DO

From: Dr. Svend Buhl <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 11:42:20 +0100

Eman and list,

when it comes to irons there is but one authority to refer to: Vaugn
Buchwald.

There is not the slightest doubt that the melted exterior of freshly fallen
iron meteorites is called a fusion crust.

In volume 1 page 49f. of his Handbook of Iron Meteorites Buchwald explains:

Cuts perpendicular to the surface of a freshly fallen iron meteorite
disclose fusion crusts and heat-affected rim zones. While the fusion crusts
on stone meteorites are usually the product of simple melting, the crusts on
iron meteorites are complex, displaying mixed melts of fully and partially
oxidized metal. The fusion crusts are the adhering remnants of ablated metal
from the last part of the trajectory left on the surface when the velocity
decreased below about 3km / sec, and ablation ceased. [...] The fusion
crusts are, in principle, composed of an exterior fully oxidized, rapidly
solidified nonmetallic melt, and an interior only slightly oxidized metallic
melt. The oxide melts have solidified and decomposed to wuestite-magnetite
aggregates, while the metallic melts, often forming numerous crossbedded 50u
thin sheets, have solidified to dendritic -cellular aggregates, that below
700?C have transformed diffusionless to fine grained martensitic alpha2
products.

End of quotation. (pages 50 - 53 show fantastic photograhies of differnent
types of fusion crusts on iron)

By the way. I do not agree that the Glossary of Geology of the American
Geological Institute is a sound reference for nomenclature and terminology
of meteorites.

Best regards

Svend Buhl

www.niger-meteorite-recon.de