[meteorite-list] Irons DON'T form Fusion Crust's - yes they DO

From: David Weir <dgweir_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 14:14:38 -0500

Please Elton, don't make me laugh. This is no debate, nor is the use of
this term "weakly founded in the literature". It is as established and
pervasive throughout the meteoritical literature as any term. The
decades of use of the term fusion crust to describe the results of
ablation on iron meteorites absolutely justifies its official acceptance
throughout the meteoritical community, if not from you. I own Buchwald's
volumes and paid $300, the going price from the most expensive source
known - Ron Farrell; where were you? You say Buchwald adopted a concept
already in use... duh, that's how it works man. Buchwald is THE
authority on iron meteorites (Wasson fits in there too), and I bet there
are few among the scientific community who would argue against this use
of the term. Contrary to how you'd have it, there exists no rule book in
this field outside of the common use recognized in the literature. This
term will go on being used no matter how loud you oppose it on this
MetList. Why not just go to the Smithsonian/NASA Astrophysics Data
System and do a keyword search for "fusion crust iron" and you'll find
over 58,000 papers, many of which use the term fusion crust to describe
iron meteorites. Here are but the first three of them I came upon:

http://snipurl.com/16tu2

http://snipurl.com/16tuh

http://snipurl.com/16tul

David