[meteorite-list] Forestburg (b) L5 chondrite

From: Gary K. Foote <gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 14:15:20 -0500

Hi All,

I just received and photographed this very nice slice of Forestburg (b) from the Hupe'
Collection. Lately I've been focusing on widening my collection by purchasing smaller
specimens and this one is just beautiful. Some info about this meteorite;

An L5 chondrite found in 1957 at 33? 29' 44"N, 97? 35' 19"W, in Montague County, Texas,
USA by Mr. Willard Freeman. Mr Freeman found this 26.6 kg stone in a dry creekbed where
it may have been transported by water.

Mineralogy and classification of Forestburg (b) (T. J. McCoy, JSC; A. J. Ehlmann, TCU):
olivine, Fa25.8; pyroxene, Fs21.6; shock stage S5, weathering grade W1; the chondrite is
shock blackened and contains impact melt clasts.

If you want to take a look it is here;

http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/forestburg2-6.html

Best to All,

Gary Foote