[meteorite-list] First Cold find for 2007

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:12:30 -0500

Hi,

   After spending about two hours of hunting I found a 34 gram fragment
 from an old weathered chondrite. The magnet jumped to it like a piece
of steel. I spent about an hour walking around looking for the rest of
the meteorite. From the looks of the fragment and surface that I was
hunting it could not be too far. I decided to try the metal detector on
the fragment, it was a real loud signal. Within minutes I found 4 more
pieces 34,17,135 grams. All of the fragments were buried a couple
inches deep. I had a loud signal about 6' from the first target. I
started digging, the first 10 " was hard dirt with fist sized rocks.
The signal got louder and I thought it must have been a hot rock in the
hole. Four more inches down under some more rocks was a 2.65lb chunk of
meteorite. None of the smaller pieces fit onto the large meteorite. The
chunk looks like a third of the meteorite.The fragments all look the
same, my guess it is all from the same meteorite. I will have to bring
a shovel and dig the hole deeper. The meteorite looks like it is a OC .
The total weight so far is 3.16 lbs. The meteorite is from a new area
with no previous finds in Nevada. I will post some pictures next week.

Sonny