[meteorite-list] Grandstanding?

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:40:27 -0700

Darren Garrison posted:

> Wanting to present it in public in the form of a giant check is
just tacky.

Darren:

Despite a serious hand injury, Maria Haas sent out over one hundred
emails last night to ensure everyone who has contributed to, or
helped, the raffle in some way knows that (thanks to D. Stimpson) we
will not be present at the Haviland Festival today. I note that your
name is absent from the list of contributors, and yet you're very
quick to jump in and let us know what we're doing wrong.

May I suggest that you contact Maria Haas and offer her some
assistance? She could certainly use help from someone -- such as
yourself -- who evidently has plenty of spare time.

Regarding Stimpson's comments in Mr. Anderson's article: We as a
group (the Greensburg volunteers) do not require any publicity for
ourselves, and have no "agenda" other than raising funds for our
friends and colleagues in Kiowa County. I find it ironic that Mr.
Stimpson accused us of staging publicity stunts and furthering an
agenda when he, himself, has staged one publicity stunt after another
in an embarrassing attempt to ride on the coattails of Steve Arnold's
success at Brenham. Remember last year when he found a pile of broken
Brenham fragments in a hole, and claimed he'd discovered a bigger
pallasite than Steve? It would all be quite funny if it weren't for
the fact that Stimpson's pettiness has interfered with an
international charity effort.

Darren, what you fail to realize is that presenting an oversize check
to the Haviland State Bank is something which interests local media.
Such an event makes for a good photo op in a small town, and our
local stories in Kansas have, several times, been picked up by
national media. It's a very simple premise: Media attention = more
income generated for the fundraiser. What Stimpson has achieved is to
limit media exposure for our event, thereby reducing the amount of
cash we could have raised for his neighbors. I'm guessing he's not
the most popular guy in Greensburg today.

You can reach Maria at: dragonsoup at msn.com

Finally, we'd like to -- once again -- thank the many List members
who chose to do something positive and participate in the Greensburg
Charity Raffle.

http://www.aerolite.org/events/greensburg-fundraiser.htm

Geoff N.
Greensburg Charity Volunteer