[meteorite-list] unclean gao givaway

From: GREG LINDH <geeg48_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:06:47 -0700

       Hi Mal,

    Let me help you out. You are *not* a whiner, nor is your skin too thin,
and you don't need to ask anyone for forgiveness. All you've done is to
call a spade a spade. Your analysis of the situation here is accurate (and
I know that I'm burning some bridges by writing that). So be it.
    I started collecting meteorites about a year ago. When I found out that
there was a "meteorite hunter/collector" community, I was thrilled. My wife
and I moved to Prescott Valley, AZ from Northern CA about a year and a half
ago. We went to the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show last year. I wanted to
meet and rub elbows with the "veterans" of this cool hobby. Some people at
the show were open, warm, and inclusive. Others were less than cordial. I
remember being in the room of one of the best known hunter/collectors. I
mentioned to him that I had purchased an unclassified, ordinary chondrite,
from NWA, and because as a newbie, I wanted to know what it looked like on
the inside, and didn't have a diamond saw, I broke a piece off with a
hammer. Well, this man and another well known hunter looked at each other,
shook their heads, and laughed a laugh that was anything but friendly. It
was a "put down" laugh....and it wasn't in my imagination. I learned some
lessons at that show....not all of them about meteorites.
    I've met some genuinely nice people in the meteorite community. Most of
them have contacted me privately (not on the list) and have welcomed me with
open arms. One actually met with me a couple of months ago down in Phoenix.
  He spent a couple of hours showing me how to use my new metal detector and
also telling me many of the "in's and out's" of meteorite hunting. To him,
and to all those who have shown me respect and have treated me kindly, I
say, "thank you very much"! To those who would treat me or any novice in a
belittling, condescending way, I say, "no great loss".
    We all share a common passion. It's shame that doesn't translate into a
more charitable, accepting community.

    Greg Lindh