[meteorite-list] Cali chondrite fell extremely cold!

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:46:53 -0700 (PDT)

I am sure that those perceptions play a large role in
the reports about "hot" meteorites. The finder of the
Cali #004 meteorite said that he picked it up, and
then rapidly put it down because it was so cold that
it hurt him.

As far as the Portales plastic melter, we had
discussed that at length during the fall in 98. I
completely believe that it was nothing more than a
black metal-rich object baking in super-hot summer sun
that caused the deformation of the plastic. It was
~110+ F in June just after the fall, blazing sun,
black object = surface temp of such an object of more
than 150-170 degrees.
Mike