[meteorite-list] Cali chondrite fell extremely cold!

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:07:48 -0700 (MST)

Hi All:

My two cents.

We had are usual "asteroid lunch" today (discuss them and other related
topics, not eat them). I brought up this topic. Among others there was me,
an asteroid person (used to do them modeling of asteroids and, yes, they
are cold inside since the "typical" asteroid probably spends much of its
time further from the Sun than the Earth); a meteorite person, Tim
Swindle; and an impact person, Jay Melosh. We all agreed that meteorites
will be cold (or at least very cool) when they land. The effects of
heating due to entry and fusion crust formation should be "gone" in tens
of seconds (while they are still falling). So their temperature on the
ground should reflect their ambient temperature in space.

By the way, they had never heard of the (very good) suggestion that a
person touching a very cold meteorite may actually think that the burning
sensation is heat and not cold.

Larry