[meteorite-list] need info composition of lunar meteorites

From: Mike Jensen <meteoriteplaya_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 14:35:35 -0600

Hi Dan
First of all I would like to say welcome to the list. Hope you enjoy it here.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question but might be able to get
you to a great website that might be able to answer your question. It
is Randy Korotev's site;
http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites.htm

Here is some text from the site that more or less agrees with your
points about the mineral anorthite and the rock anorthosite.

"Rocks of the lunar highlands contain a high proportion (70-99%) of a
type of feldspar known as plagioclase. In particular, the plagioclase
of the lunar highlands is the calcium-rich variety known as anorthite
(the more sodium-rich varieties are rare or do not occur on the Moon).
 Mineralogically, a rock composed mostly of the anorthite is called an
anorthosite, and most rocks of the lunar highlands are, in fact,
anorthosites. Lunar scientists often refer to the highlands crust as
"feldspathic," indicating the major mineral, or "anorthositic,"
indicating the major rock type. Anorthite, like all forms of
feldspar, is rich in aluminum and poor iron."

After reading that my head is starting to swim and I'm sure I'll be
having nightmares about phase diagrams, triclinic vs monoclinic
crystals and what the hell that bar means over the second number of
the crystal indices.

If the site does not have your answer I suspect Randy will answer it
directly as he is a list member. Once again welcome to "the list".

--
Mike