[meteorite-list] Smithsonain Advice

From: greg stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:49:56 -0700 (PDT)

Tett:

  I grew up near Rockville MD about 25 miles outside of Washington DC. I used to go to the Museums frequently. I believe the Rocks and Minerals are on the 2nd floor (or maybe the 3rd) should be relatively easy to find. You have to see the Hope Diamond. Perhaps contact Tim McCoy in advance, he is the curator of the meteorite collection at the Smithsonian.

  As to the subway, you could stay somewhere in the Rockville area near Rockville Pike (or Hwy 355) stay at a Hotel there and catch the red line downtown; would take you about 30 minutes to get downtown. I would do an internet search on Rockville or Bethesda MD. You can also stay in VA, but I?m not as familiar with that area. I?m sure if you stay in downtown DC, it will be expensive ? but you never know. I forget the subway station you need to get off at for all the museums; I know ?the Mall? area is close. That?s where the reflecting pool is and the Lincoln memorial is too.

  While you are there, you need to visit the Air and Space Museum too; it?s fantastic. They have one of those IMAX theaters
 really cool.

  WOW
 this is really bringing back memories.

  Have fun...

  Greg S.

tett <tett at rogers.com> wrote:
  Hello List,

This weekend I will be visiting the Smithsonian along with my son and nephew
and a good friend.

Does anyone know the details of the meteorite exhibit? Which hall etc..
What not to miss.

Also, can anyone recommend a good but cheap hotel near the subway line so we
can leave the car at the hotel and take public transit. Don't mind if it is
a good hour on the subway.

Many Thanks,

Mike Tettenborn
Owen Sound, Ontario