[meteorite-list] Ensisheim tkw compilation: RESULTS

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:12:25 +0100

Dear list,

I wish to thank many of you for having provided new or corrected data for
my compilation of Ensisheim meteorite masses.
Now that the reception of such data had slowed down significantly, I am
ready to send you, on request, my provisional compilation list as updated
by March 6, 2007.
Just feel free to ask for a copy, off list.
Note; this list could be found on the Ensisheim web site in a near future).

I also made the first evaluations and here are the results with some comments:

1) So far there are 158 different repositories, 73 of them involving
official institutes, museums
and 85 being in private hands.

2) While the total mass in each repository is accurate (the weights are
taken as received), it is difficult to evaluate how many pieces are
deposited in each place. When the number of pieces held in a (mostly
private) collection is known, this was indicated (if more than one).

3) Except in few cases (Paris, London
museums), the precision is within one
gram, meaning that the meteorite was probably never weighed with a higher
accuracy, even if the mass is small.

4) The presently existing total mass computed so far reaches 69,046.385
grams, which represents 54.37% of the initial mass that is thought to be
127 kg, meaning that more than 45 % are still missing ! (or at least not on
the present census).

5) The mass repartition is very inequivalent, thus:
- Museums & institutes: 67,735.126 g (98.1%)
- Private collections: 1,311.259 g (1.9%)
(Note that the 53,831 g held at the Regency Palace in Ensisheim represent
almost 78% of the big total (Institutes + private)).

6) The largest mass held in a private collection is with Marlin Cilz (416
g, 6th rank), but this (old) number would require confirmation (see below).
The smallest mass held in a private collection, 0.05 g, was so far reported
by Rhett Bourland (Evansville, IN).
The smallest mass held in an official institute (rank 133) is from Black
Hills Inst Geol. Res. (SD) and weighs 0.946 g

7) As reported before, my compilation was based on previous repositories or
set of data, basically stemming from MetBase (2003), BM catalog (Grady
2000), Ensisheim archives (Schm?tzer, 1993), more recently completed by
data provided by R. Kempton, NEMS (2003), J?rn Koblitz (2007 MetBase
edition) and Pierre-Marie Pel? (his own compilation achieved in 2006-2007
that allowed me to precise many old museum/institute old figures).
Most of the private repositories come from your own data kindly sent on a
regular basis through the list.
Some reports came more recently from the subscribers of P.-M. Pel??s
?Encyclopedia of Meteorites?, upon specific call.
I warmly thank again all of you for this extremely valuable help!

8) My compilation is being increased and improved permanently and your
further help is always very much appreciated.

Here are some data that I?d like to complete and for which I could not
contact the owner(s) directly, for various reasons. If anyone can help,
this will be more than great.
Some specific questions:

A) I need the accurate masses held in the following museums, for which I
have old data (> 20 years) and/or inaccurate masses (the masses (in grams)
I have, are given in parentheses):

Berlin (905), Vienna (660), T?bingen (316), US NM (WA) (258), Uppsala (SE)
(210), Tempe (AZ) (209), Cambridge (GB) (133), AMS (NY) (111), G?ttingen
(111), Calcutta (77), Basel (77), Copenhagen (74), Strasbourg (FR) (74),
Oxford (GB) (71), Paris Ecole des Mines (38), Freiberg (DE) (28), Harvard
(MA) 21), Moscow Geol. Mus (11), Tallin (ES) (11), TCU Fort Worth (?only?
4.3 g
), St Petersburg (RU) (4)
some museum in Holland (???)

B) Same question, from the following private collections:

Cilz (416), Labenne (88), Haag (85), Horejsi (28.2), Heinlein (26.5), Du
Pont coll (8 g
still exists ?)

C) The repositories are classified by cities (as in MetBase). I need the
following data:

Is J. Schwade living in Kankakee or in Crystal Lake ?
Is Marc Labenne living in Sarasota (FL) or in Tergnion (France) ?
Which are the cities and US States where live:
- R. C. Cavalieri (USA) ?
- J.-M. Daillier (France) ?
- P. Pibburns (USA) ?

THANKS SO MUCH ONCE MORE !