[meteorite-list] B.O.: Purina Iron Chow unlikely; Bloomington Airport probably ruled out

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:32:24 -0800

Hi Sterling,

Well-sleuthed! I think we can rule out a cat food factory
as a likely source for a flying piece of metal slag... ;-)

I tried another route: I investigated flights coming in
for a landing at Bloomington (KBMI) that Monday morning.
There was only one at the approximate time of the incident:
Mesaba Aviation flight 2783 arriving from Detroit. On some
mornings this flight will make its final approach from the
northwest (potentially flying over the impact house) before
landing on runway 11/29, but on this particular morning it
landed in the opposite direction from the southeast,
arriving at 9:50am. Given the light prevailing wind from
the NNW, it makes sense that they landed flying into the
wind.

So if an aircraft is to be blamed, it would have to be
one that was simply flying over Bloomington, heading
east or southeast. --Rob