[meteorite-list] Could Venus Watch For Earth-Bound Asteroids?

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:37:15 -0700 (MST)

Hello List:

I have observer a few asteroids in my life and have some problems with
this article. I am away from home, so I am going mostly on memory and so
these are only estimates;

1. If you are to put a telescope at the orbit of Venus, it would have to
be in the same orbit as Venus, but not near Venus. If you are planning to
observe in the infrared, you would want a Spitzer-type telescope. The
Earth is hot and Venus would be hotter (so is the Sun)! Spitzer has a
lifetime of about 5 years thanks to shielding from the Sun and Earth. I am
not sure how much more of a problem there would be at the distance of
Venus. HST with it CCDs is much easier to cool so does not have the limits
of an infrared telescope.

2. Yes, asteroids are brighter in the infrared: but this is sunlight
absorbed and re-emitted (heat). So, yes, you could observe asteroids at
these wavelengths, but as stated about would need a cooled telescope.

3. While the idea of an asteroid "coming at us out of the sunlight"
(worked in war movies), statistically, there are fewer of these asteroid
(at least known). There are over 2000 known Apollo asteroids (cross Earth
orbit, but mean solar distance greater than Earth's) and less than 400
Aten asteroids (cross Earth's orbit, but mean distance less than Earth's).
There are known known asteroids with orbits wholly within Earth's orbit
(at least none discovered). So, there are more things coming in from
outside in than inside out. Yes, it would be "better" to look from closer
to the Sun, but would have the bigger, brighter, hotter Sun to deal with
(visible or infrared).

4. You would also be better off with more than one telescope. There is
always the chance that the asteroid with our name on it would hit us at
its first close pass (might not be able to do anything about it). But if
that is so, you would want a telescope that is looking in the direction of
the Earth at any given time.

5. Now, something that I just thought about that I cannot calculate here
in my hotel room (in Disney World). How many asteroids have perihelion
(closest distance to the Sun) that get anywhere near Venus? Most near
Earth asteroids (NEOs) can only be detected when they are close to Earth
(they are very small). These may never be detected from "far away" Venus.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Larry