[meteorite-list] Fireball Seen in Canada, Michigan

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:41:16 -0600

I've got an astro-referenced report from Utica that suggests it was seen
from a height of about 80 miles down to below 40 miles. I have two
reports of sound, both from the edges of Detroit. One person reported
electrophonic noise, and the other reported sonic booms.

Lots of fragmentation over many miles can also indicate a robust
meteoroid that has made it to a moderately low height and is traveling
in a fairly flat trajectory. From what I can deduce about the velocity
and descent angle, I'd say there's a definite possibility this object
produced meteorites, but it's far from a sure thing. If I were looking,
I'd put the most likely strewn field location in western Lake Erie.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com