[meteorite-list] How to display Your collection ? PolandMET idea !

From: PolandMET <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:33:04 +0100

Hi
Tooday I finished my "little display stand" for my new private meteorite
collection, so I want to show You my idea.

First, I must explain that I have stop collecting small specimens some time
ago. I have from old days around 70 meteorite specimens from a miligrams to
10-20g hiddend into small boxes 58x38x17mm and stored in palets in chet in
my room. This specimens have for me historical value becouse several of this
pieces are my first meteorite specimens. But in fact this kind of
"collection" is a vaste of material, money and place, becouse this specimens
are too small to display for example on wall or to show to normall peoples.
Noone will take this kind of collecting seroiously if I will show him for
example very rare and importand Orguel 3mm wide or other specimens in size
from 5mm to 2cm wide. Ofcourse everyone collecting what he like. I decided
that this small pieces make only my collection larger on my specimens
inventory list, but not show any educational value to me or to anyone who
invite me. Thats why I will sell most of them.

I decided to collect less specimens but in size that will fit to my larger
acrylic boxes 84x59x24 mm. This gives me chance to own good size specimens
that I can display in my room in secured boxes. Yes, display, but how ???

And here comes my idea that I have planned and realized from around 3
months. Project changed several times, sometimes becouse of a costs of some
parts, and sometimes becouse I cant find elements that I needed. I usually
doing things without any detailed plan. So usually final project is much
different from first one.

Project:
This is 100x100cm big wall stand for 150 meteorite boxes.
Main element is 1mm thin aluminum plate with perforation Rv5-8 that help to
put all elements together precise in place and make project visualy more
hi-tech. It is mounted on a 4mm white ply-wood plate and conected with
aluminium plate using aluminium "U" type profile. Most importand part of my
project is 150x 20mm wide neodynum magnets that holds on place meteorite
boxes. Boxes with meteorites have small 1mm thin iron plate on bottom side,
under layers of sponge. This is good becouse boxes can be takeed from my
stand very easy, but they still sit on place using force beetween magnets
and iron plate.

This stand, when will be full, then will corelate with my mega poster of
Sahara meteorites composed from reference cards from Sahara Meteorite
Prospecting CD-Rom. From left will be photos and classifications of many
Sahara finds, and from right my collection of real specimens that anyone can
watch and touch.

Comments welcome :)
Marcin Cimala

Photos:

Just history, my old stand, too small, too simply, too ugly
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/IMG_0076.JPG

Most importand part of my room, just after my computer place :)
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/IMG_0077.JPG

My new stand
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/IMG_0078.JPG
http://www.meteoryt.net/ebay/IMG_0083.JPG