[meteorite-list] Meteorite Catalogs/First Meteorite

From: Don Hurkot <don_hurkot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:57:18 -0600

I certainly remember my first meteorite purchase. . I responded to a Robert Haag ad in Popular Science in 1990 and requested a catalogue. I believe it was the 9th edition and when it arrived, I literally couldn't put it down. I was hooked on collecting meteorites after seeing the various types and the commentary that when along with some of the falls and finds given the Robert Haag writing style. I finally had to throw that first catalog away after the pages started falling out and I was able to get newer catalogues from Robert.

My first meteorite purchase was a 357 g Vaca Muerta, followed by a slice of Imilac. My biggest regret is selling my first meteorite collection to expand my farming operation. Now that I am semi retired from a career in R&D, I am concentrating on building my second meteorite collection and growing my collection of meteorite catalogues from the various dealers over the years. These catalogues, with the photos, show the wide diversity of specimens sold over the years and the price differentials over a period of approximately 25 years.

I am asking list members for help in obtaining some catalogues that are either missing from my collection or are in poor shape (from over use). These are:

1. Robert Haag Field Guides of Meteorites , 9th edition and older

2. Haskell Smith Meteorites & Tektites (Haskell brought Caddo County to the collecting community)

3. Edwin Thompson, Meteorites, Fossils and Artifacts (I have the Winter 98/99 but need any others that exist)

4. Bethany Science/The Universe Collection (looking for No. 1, 2, 7, 8, 10, 2002, 2004/ 2005

If you can help me with any of the above or some that I'm not familiar with, please contact me off list with availability and pricing information.

To conclude, the internet collections that are available now for viewing are wonderful real time resources. The paper catalogues also have value for the present collector in presenting the evolution of meteorite and tektite collecting over a period of time. I myself spend approximately ? of my meteorite time on the Internet following the exploits of many on this list whose efforts result in rescuing valuable space artifacts. Were it not for these individuals, considerable material that otherwise would slowly disintegrate and be lost, is available to a passionate collecting community including research interests.

This electronic message and any attached documents are intended only for the named addressee(s). This communication from TransCanada may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and it must not be disclosed, copied, forwarded or distributed without authorization. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message. Thank you.