[meteorite-list] Casablanca suicide bomber

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:20:28 -0400

Deal List Members,

Here is an article I received by my concerned sister since I go to Morocco all the time. Anyone who goes there should keep your eyes open and be safe. This is NOT meteorite related directly, but since several List members do go there, I thought I would forward this info.

Best regards,
Greg

            Casablanca

                  MOROCCO: PROBE OPENED INTO SUICIDE BOMB ATTACK ON INTERNET CAFE

      Casablanca, 12 March (AKI) - The Moroccan authorities have opened an inquiry into an apparent suicide bomb attack on an internet cafe in Casablanca on Sunday night. The only victim was the suicide bomber but three other customers were injured in the explosion at the cyber cafe in the neighbourbood of Sidi Moumin. Two young men entered an internet cafe and asked the owner to navigate in a jihadi website which was banned by the Moroccan government. His refusal led to a heated argument and the explosion occurred as the men were coming to blows, eyewitnesses said.

      After the blast, the police managed to arrest the second man who is being interrogated. They are seeking to ascertain whether the suicide bomber intended to detonate his explosives belt at the cafe or whether the device went off unexpectedly during the argument and his target was elsewhere.

      Most of the 13 bombers responsible for the 2003 Casablanca bomb attacks, in which 32 people were killed, come from Sidi Moumin. Sunday also marked the third anniversary of the Madrid train station attacks in which 191 people lost their lives.

      Morocco is on a state of high alert after recent explosions and attacks in neighbouring Algeria.

            (Ham/Fmk/Aki)

            Mar-12-07 09:23---------------