[meteorite-list] Greensburg hit with tornado

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 03:10:13 -0500

The damage total is not known, no power in the region is making
communication hard, but the storm has finally died down. It had a rain
jacket all around it so it could not be seen well. No one can know how many
torandos it spawned.

Greensburg took the majority of the damage. Dozens and dozens of homes where
totally destroyed, about 60% of the town. The high school, the city jail,
the hotal/diner, the hostiptal, pretty much every city buidling. Everything
on the west side of main street. You can go for a few miles, in what was the
busiest section of the little town and the only thing that was left standing
in the grain tower (which is ironic I guess).

>From what I can tell on the damage it did, it appears to have landed about 2
miles east of where Steve found the big Brenham. Haviland has a Red Cross
section set up where people are being sent.

100's of rescue workers are on the scene. Injuries are unknown, at least 50
are at area hosptials, no confirmed deaths, which is good and amazing in
itself, but it is very early.

The storm lasted six hours but has died down.

Mark