[meteorite-list] 240 pound SHREWSBURY "Meteor"

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 18:25:08 -0600

A loss of only 90% to ablation during entry would be low. 95%-98% is
probably more typical. This is backed by actual observation of the
velocity profiles of meteors caught on camera, and by theoretical
ablation models. That said, iron meteorites can potentially survive with
much less ablation because their (sometimes) high material strength may
allow them to slow down without undergoing massive fragmentation like
virtually all stony meteorites experience.

Without knowing the details of the atmospheric path, however, the 90%
estimate is a lot more likely than 15%.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory