[meteorite-list] Moon rock?

From: leandro saracino <leandro.saracino_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 02:46:01 +0200

Hi Graham and all,
as far as I can remember, "false color" pictures of the Moon have been
used as a bi-dimensional visual tool for lunar geochemistry since the
'60s, by Ewin Withaker, Dale Cruickshank and other folks at the famous
Lunar and Planetary Lab in Tucson. They used to sandwich negative IR
plates and positive UV plates (or the reverse, maybe) of the Moon and
the final B/W product was a stunning picture that revealed the
compositional provinces of variuos areas of our satellite. Many years
later the same concept has been extended to the remote sensing by
orbiting or fly-bying space probes (Clementine, Galileo), getting a far
better color discrimination of the lunar chemical provinces. The use of
modern electronic equipment has put this technique in the range of
amateur astronomers as well, with many beautiful results already
published in the net. A nice web page is given by Filipe Alves (sorry, I
didn't keep its URL, but you should be able to find it anyway).
That's definitely a compositional bulk effect, thus, but one cannot
exclude in principle a small contribution of meteoritic origin to the
spectral reflectance of the lunar surface (something like that has been
advocated also for the martian surface some time ago, if I remember
correctly).
Hope this brief account will help.

Leandro
Osservatorio Astronomico