[meteorite-list] Classification Labs

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 13:30:22 -0400

Thanks for all the feedback!

For the benefit of the List; I received more than a few responses to my
questions, and the clear consensus is that the way to go is through Dean's
lab contact.

To reiterate Dean's post, contrary to how he has it stipulated here:

http://www.meteoriteshop.com/class/classify.html
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/class/classify.html

it is 20 grams *OR* 20% of stones smaller than 100 grams that is required
for samples sent.

The fee required was unanimously said to be more than fair.

The "free" labs in USA (no info for Europe) are badly back-logged, so for
more the common stones a return could take them up to several years -
fo'getaboutit!

With so many OC NWA's sent in over the past few years, unless you have
something so unique, like a Lunar, most colleges/universities won't take it
in.

Embarrassingly, there doesn't seem to be a lab or university in all of
Canada that does classification.
(There doesn't seem to be anything current on the web that connects Canada
to meteorites, at all! Makes me wonder - who's holding on to all that
Tagish?!)

Thank you again for all the responses.
Knowledge is power!

Cheers,