[meteorite-list] NWA 2871: Rocks From Space Picture of the Day - November 5, 2007

From: Kashuba <mary.kashuba_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:49:16 -0800

Mexico Doug, Bernd and List,

Bernd has been leading a few of us, off list, in a discussion of
Acapulcoites v Lodranites. Doug's fine list of references, including David
Weir's wonderfully up to date pages, shows the likelihood that a more
comprehensive classification system will evolve. Grain size is an artifact
of metamorphism and correlates well but tells the story only incompletely
and imperfectly.

A while back I put up a page with a few pictures of winonaites and
acapulcoites in thin section. Now these classifications are clearly
distinguished with olivine and oxygen isotope composition. Still, there are
pictures of one former and two current acapulcoites there where grain sizes
can be compared. If anyone wants to check out another guy's picture of NWA
2871 for grain sizes I just posted a large version of one of mine. Just
click on the last picture on that page for a new page or use the second link
below. Do remember, though, that most grain portions we see in thin section
do not represent the full size of the grain since the plane of the section
will cut through the thickest portion of only a small percentage of the
grains it encounters.

http://johnkashuba.com/Pages/Meteorite%20Pages/Topics/Acapulcoites_and_Winon
aites.html

http://johnkashuba.com/Pages/Meteorite%20Pages/Pictures/NWA2871Acapulcoite.h