[meteorite-list] Carancas Availability

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:31:30 -0400

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 19:02:17 -0500, you wrote:

>I see several on EBay but I am leery when reading auctions that
>state no guarantee the material is guaranteed to be of meteorite material as
>they were collected by towns people and then sold to some EBay sellers.

Just look at the photos-- it is a very distinctive meteorite. You won't mistake
something else for it.

>have not seen any big name dealer/collectors with any of this material on
>their sites or on EBay for that matter and this after 2 months.

You must not be looking very close on Ebay:

Bob Haag:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280169553330

Geoff Notkin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170166041540

Michael Cottingham:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200165762221

Mike Farmer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170161057136

Robert Ward:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170160043699

Seem like big enough names to me.

>I perceived
>there was plenty of this material to go around and yet see very little being
>offered. Any explanations to why this is.

Simple-- if all of it is put on Ebay at once at low starting bids, there would
be plenty to go around for everybody wanting it, and many auctions would go for
much lower than they want them to go. If you spread them out thin, you'll get
more money.