[meteorite-list] AL HAGGOUNIA 001 ("NOT" AUBRITE)

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:02:23 -0800 (PST)

Dear List,

I just thought I would throw my opiniion into the
discussion.

It is obvious that this meteorite contains chondrules
therefore calling it anything but a chondrite doesn't
make any sense to me. These round objects cannot be
mistaken for anything else. Radial pyroxene and
barred olivine clasts, I don't think so, these are
obvious chondrules.

This material is heterogeneous so this is a case where
more than the 20 gram type sample is required in order
to interpret this meteorite properly. If pieces that
contain round objects are omitted from study, I can
see why it could be interpreted as an Aubrite.
Another thing working against it is that it does not
look anything like other known Aubrites. To me, this
is an EL Chondrite, nothing more, nothing less, still
a cool find.

Best Regards,

Adam