[meteorite-list] another Randall post

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 19:44:58 +0200

Dear Randall,

meteorites in general are so exorbitantly rare - we're speaking about 600
tons in total, whereof 90% are covered by the 20 largest iron meteorites,
but on the other hand so cheap - that from an economical point of view,
they are so insignificant, that very most nations never though about
creating an own legislation for meteorites.

For evident reasons other existing laws, like for resources, treasure finds,
artefacts, natural monuments ect. can't be applied on meteorites.

E.g in Germany and Austria we had this year a court decision, which awarded
the third stone of the famous Neuschwanstein solely to the finder,
because no single one of the existing laws fitted, nor demonstrated the land
owner the will to accroach the stone, as they weren't searching for it at
all.

Therefore most of us would ask you kindly to be more careful with your word
choice.

If you want to bring forward moral arguments, keep in mind, that the largest
US-American and European institutional collections would have then to be
dissolved, as they were built up with bought pieces. The legal status of the
Antarctic meteorites isn't clarified neither.

More credibility would have your moral concerns at least to me, if you would
hand some additional money in to the land owners later,
as the material has to be evaluated somewhat higher than 0.5$/g.
(I personally woud guess, that - if not a considerably larger amount will be
found - collectors would pay 30-50$ per gram for usually dimensioned
slices).

My thoughts, only
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----