[meteorite-list] Experts Skeptical of Peruvian Meteorite Impact

From: star-bits at tx.rr.com <star-bits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:33:56 -0700

Sterling wrote:

<And I read
his statement as saying just what you suggest, that any "small
crater forming event [is] much more likely to involve an iron
parent..." >

A few years back I put together a web page listing the craters over 10 meters in diameter and whether or not meteorites had been found. A quick check of this page showed 15 craters with associated meteorites, 13 irons, 1 pallasite, and 1 mesosiderite. It may be that stones weather away while irons remain, but of the 14 craters formed in the last 50,000 years 12 have meteorites associated with them, 10 irons and the other 2. So it appears craters greater than 10 meters are mostly formed by iron meteorites. At least in recent history. Here is a link to the page I put together.

<http://star-bits.com/impact-craters.htm>
--
Eric Olson
7682 Firethorn Dr
---- "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> It's not impossible that the crater was left by a meteorite...
    This suggests he'd just finished saying that this was likely
NOT a meteorite crater, but it's not impossible... And I read
his statement as saying just what you suggest, that any "small
crater forming event [is] much more likely to involve an iron
parent..."
Sterling K. Webb