[meteorite-list] YOUNGER DRYAS IMPACT THEORY -- ANOTHER PRESS RELEASE

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:39:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Sterling,
 I am separated from my files so the exact
figures/dates etc. are from memory. The gist is, I
was studying a glacial anomaly in Northeastern
Pennsylvania along State Rt.33 at the junction of
US209 near the village of Sciota. Perched atop a high
ridge/cliff is the remnant of a moraine suggesting
that there was once ice of great thickness. I found
an 1970's Research report on this feature that
potentially ties it into the YD timeline.

The paper discussed that 11,970? years ago (according
to carbon dating) there was a breach of an 2500-1500
ft high ice dam/moraine that had impounded a glacial
lake (Ancient Lake Sciota) which was almost the size
of the state of Rhode Island:i.e. 100s of square
miles.

The resultant flood scoured the Broadhead Valley
leaving behind glacial debris and permanently changing
the drainage of the valley's streams from
northeastward to westward.

  The dam was located on the maximum advance of ice
for the Wisconsinan Ice Sheet. Since the time of this
breach, the edge of the ice began withdrawing and has
been withdrawing ever since. I thought it interesting
that this flooding event within the margin of error to
be concurrent with the 12,900 time line referenced.

Whether this was ice failure, impact shocked, or both,
we may never know. However, I guess I'll be screening
some deposits in search of "black mats" material to
see if it is found under or atop the flood deposits or
neither. Understanding how "kames" form(dust deposits
washed into ice-melt supplied lakes atop the ice mass)
I'll be looking through those deposits also. These
mats might have been consolidated in outwash plans
while the material itself might have fallen over a
long time or in a short space of time, depending on
how quickly it fell out of the atmosphere.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
Elton