[meteorite-list] Metal detector on achondrite

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 22 Aug 2008 22:04:55 UT

Hi Elton, Pa(u)l and List,

Elton wrote: "Native iron in stoney achondrites is exceedingly
rare, only incidental, and certainly not in eucrites or diogenites."

I certainly agree that native iron in achondrites is (relatively) rare but
I wouldn't say it is "exceedingly" rare. Well, most of you will remember
the pics in METEORITE (November 2007, pp. 20-21: Eucrites from
Around the World).

On page 21, you can see a b&w picture of my NWA 4019 eucrite (23.5 gr)
that I purchased from Chladni's Heirs and I am still glad I *did* buy it even
though it was a bit pricey because it features a huge, unusual triple (!) metal-
troilite aggregate measuring ca. 10 mm.

Pa(u)l, I don't know if you have that copy of METEORITE and so I'll send you
that pic in a private mail (List policies forbid pics). I've never seen such a "huge"
amount of metal in a eucrite, but ...

> neither metal detector nor magnet would be suitable ...

But, I do agree with Elton that this "huge" amount of metal (relatively speaking)
is far away from producing a signal in a metal detector that would be "detectable".

Best from someone who has no personal
experience with metal detectors ...
not yet ...

Bernd