[meteorite-list] Open invitation to Met Email List members!

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:03:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks and meteorite friends!

As a long time moderator on the Cloudy Nights astronomy forums, I was one
of the people pushing hard for a meteorite discussion forum to be included
on the Cloudy Nights list of forums. Well, after some lobbying, the
powers that be at CN (what we call Cloudy Nights for short) recently
created a "Space Rocks" forum for the discussion of meteorites. So far,
there's not a lot of discussion because this particular forum is still new.
But with 25,000+ members and a high volume of daily traffic, CN is a good
place to bring new people into the hobby - something I have been doing
on a regular basis over there.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite list members to stop by
Cloudy Nights and join in on the meteorite discussions in the Space
Rocks forum. I won't gush and go on and on about the merits of CN, but
it's a great bunch of friendly folks over there, many of whom are
professionals in astronomy and related fields - not to mention some of
our list members are also CN members.

One word of warning - CN is *tightly* policed to be a family-friendly
environment and vendors/dealers are not allowed to operate in the open
forums - so it's not an avenue to sell meteorites, only to discuss them.
(although you can sell meteorites over there via the seperate Classifieds
system and in the special forum set aside for vendors called "Vendor
Announcements).... There is also a ZERO tolerance for politics, religion,
or divisive social issues, so some of the kidding around we do over here
on this list will not fly on CN - just a heads-up.

I'd really love to see many of my friends here on the list stop by and
contribute their expertise to the discussions. So please accept my
invitation. :)

Here is a link to the forum :

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/Metorites

(yes the last part is mispelled, but it still works) ;)

Registering for the CN forums is free.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and clear skies!

MikeG (Glassthrower on CN and moderator of the Classic Scopes forum)

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/fine_meteorites_4_sale