[meteorite-list] Acraman Corections

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:09:05 -0500

Hi, EP, List,

George E. Williams, a mining geologist at Broken Hill Mine,
first suggested Acraman was a crater as long ago as 1986:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/233/4760/200

Gene Shoemaker wrote about it in 1996. (Sorry, no link.)

The Acraman impact was bigger than I said: 5 or 6 million
megatons, rather than "only" one million megatons!
There are the "required" iridium traces and some big
shatter cones, too, so all the signs are there for Acraman.
It appears now that more like 5000 meters of crust have
eroded out of the crater since it formed. There is suspicion
that the event extincted the mysterious Ediacaran fauna.
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all?content=10.1080/08120090500181036

And the Australians are now officially referring to Acraman
as the Acraman-Bunyeroo Event.

Don't ask me what a Bunyeroo is... Maybe a relative of
the Bunyip?

Sterling K. Webb