[meteorite-list] Steal of a Lifetime: Mirko's NWA 5411 (on EBay)

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2008 22:17:10 UT

Hi Listees, Listoids, and (Mega-)chondrule Lovers,

Some days ago a list member wrote about a "steal of a lifetime". Such things do happen
and what a "steal of a lifetime" is probably depends on one's personal likes and dislikes.

I encountered such a "steal" today when I saw Mirko Graul's new L3 chondrite NWA 5411.
Julius Caesar would have said: "Veni, vidi, vici". I saw this chondrule wonder, 9.6 grams
featuring one of those megachondrules and I couldn't help buying it! It probably measures
about 8 x 6 mm, it is elongated, and it is out-of-this-world! It's number 2 in my collection,
only my "cosmic onion" (NWA 2384) beats it because it has an onion-shell-like chondrule
measuring ca. 18.5 x 8.5 mm (with concentric arcs).

Can hardly wait to welcome this extraordinary, unequilibrated chondrite harboring such
a fine megachondrule, in my collection... oops, I almost forgot to show you what I am
talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300253608412&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

Here are some of those megacondrules:

Parnallee, LL3 - 3 mm