[meteorite-list] question on performing a nickel test

From: Randy Korotev <korotev_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:19:02 -0600

Mike:

I've had the same experience. The problem, I think, is that the DMG
test is actually TOO sensitive to nickel. All meteoritic metal
is >5% (50,000 ppm) Ni. Metals with only a few hundred ppm Ni will
give a positive result with DMG test, however. I think many steels
and cast irons may have a few hundred ppm Ni.

This subject came up a few years ago on this list and someone (I
forget who) mentioned that in his experience, the swab stayed pink
quite a bit longer with a real meteorite metal while the pink faded
in an hour with "false positives."

Randy Korotev