[meteorite-list] Fun questions, or public FAQs

From: al mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:27:01 -0500

Hi Mark and all,

One thing I didn't realize for a long time was peoples perception of part
slices and small fragments that many of us dealers sort of take for granted.
One lady commented to me one time that she was amazed that they could find
such a small crumb of Mars I had in my micro mounts (it was Zagami). It then
dawned on me that some people see these small micros and think that was the
whole piece found. I explained that it was from a much larger specimen that
was cut and broke down to sell to micro collectors and that it would be
really tough to test such a small piece as it would be mostly consumed and
nothing left for sale.

I have had other people comment on slices saying they sure are flat looking,
not knowing they are looking at a slice being sold from a whole stone. Sure
there are other misconceptions when they are looking but now know to let
them know the small pieces and slices are cut from much larger specimens.
Best!!

--AL Mitterling