[meteorite-list] Question: Strange Texture in the Laochenzhen Meteorite (Bernd?)

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:37:12 -0800

The Laochenzhen meteorite fell in Henan Province, China on February 23, 1987
and was classified as an H5. Below you will find a photo of a 4.4 gram part
slice:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/877141/Laochenzhen-1042,1-SMALL.jpg

Unfortunately there is little published about this fall and I cannot find
any photos of slices in other collections out there. I noticed an unusual
textural change in my part slice, which was very difficult to photograph. I
added red lines to the same photo below to show what I am trying to explain:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/877141/Laochenzhen-1042,1-SMALL-LINES
.jpg

The texture on the left is almost perpendicular to the one on the right. You
can see that tiny crevasses are present where the two textures meet. They
are not saw marks. Is this some sort of melt area? What is this? Bernd? Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
?
Mike Bandli