[meteorite-list] What doesn't this list use an online forum format?

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 05:52:26 -0800

on 2/21/08 12:37 PM, Gary K. Foote at gary at webbers.com wrote:

> I would like to understand why so many of the members here prefer
> not to use forums.
Gary and all,
        I don't use forums for the following reasons:

#1 - most require a sign in identity AND a password (I can hardly keep track
Of all the passwords and sign ins I have already). For instance, I refuse to
have anything to do with Yahoo because of their obsession with signing in,
passwords, etc.

#2 In some forums people do not identify themselves, but instead have a
"handle" or forum nickname. I don't care to communicate with people whom
I cannot identify.

#3 Forums are always "live" - right now, for instance, it is 5:43 AM and I
Am writing the list. People will read it when they are ready, when they are
Not at work, or eating dinner with their wife or watching TV or the like.
I doubt any forum has anyone "on" at this time.

#4 People can pretend they are ME and say horrid things in such a format.
(There was a Meteorite Blog that started about a year ago - I dropped out
within 20 minutes for this reason and the general filth of the place).

        Lastly, many or even most may not see my reasons as "valid" - but
you might want to accept the fact that lots of people do things - or don't
Do things for "reasons" we, ourselves, see as irrational or an excuse or
whatever. It is still a fact.
        The meteorite list suits me just fine - you can read it when you
want - you can delete and still look up old posts at Meteorite Central.
It is all I need. However, I might drop in some time to check out this
"forum" thing. Who knows, I might get into it.
        Best wishes, Michael