[meteorite-list] What doesn't this list use an online forum format?

From: Gary K. Foote <gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:37:45 -0500

[snip]

I would like to understand why so many of the members here prefer
not to use forums.

[snip]

An excellent question. I've often wondered the same since forums allow pictures of our
treasures and we all know how much we like pictures. Yet this list, like other early-adopter
lists I belong to, have a life of their own. If I had to state a reason I'd speak a simile;

Being the '800 pound gorilla in the room' creates prestige and draws the best talent to itself.

This list is that 800 pound gorilla. There's a lotta talent here and a lotta knowledge to be
gleaned. Who wouldn't want to be here?

Gary