[meteorite-list] 10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Own A Meteorite!

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 03:49:17 +0100

It is an interesting discussion and fun too.

I have never noticed any difference between males or females interest in
meteorites when speaking in front of a general group (school class for
example).
What I have noticed is a more obsessive behaviour in males compared to
females. That doesn't have anything to do with meteorites and can be
seen in most hobbies.

... at least that is my experience.

I bought my first meteorite ten years ago, an etched Gibeon cube, when I
was on a mineral fair. A couple of days later I gave it to my girlfriend
without telling her what it was. She would get it if she could tell me
what it was.
At first I got a disgusted "A piece of rusty iron pipe!" out of her, she
expected a gemstone when I told her I bought something on that fair.
Second guess came not long after, "It's a meteorite!"
She still cherish that meteorite, she just got rid of me. :-)

For me it took another seven years until I bought my first meteorite but
now I'm just as obsessive as any male collector.

Enough now, I think I will pour a glass of wine and look at my meteorite
collection a while.

Cheers!

G?ran