[meteorite-list] Meteorite Impact article

From: Larry & Twink Monrad <larrytwinkmonrad_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 12:19:23 -0700

A friend here in Oro Valley just sent this to me, thought I would
share for what it might be worth. See link for complete article and cartoon.

Twink Monrad

Southwest Archaeology Today for Jan. 8, 2008

Southwestern Archaeology Making the News - A Service of the Center For Desert
Archaeology

- The Possibility that Meteorite Impacts may have Affected Northern
Paleolithic
Populations is the Topic of Lecture Series in Santa Fe: Truly revolutionary
ideas are not very common these days, but one is peeking up above the
horizon of
North American prehistory. Dr. Richard Firestone, an isotope
physicist from the
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, has uncovered evidence for cosmic collisions at
times that would have influenced humans and their environment.
Impacts at 39,000
and 12,900 years ago devastated portions of the northern hemisphere, treating
the ice-age megafauna to smaller versions of the type of shock that
contributed
to the extinction of the dinosaurs. The 12,900 BP impact may have changed the
course of the cultural as well as natural history of North America, and the
possibility is challenging accepted views of Paleoindian archaeology.

<http://www.cdarc.org/sat/sky_is_falling.pdf>http://www.cdarc.org/sat/sky_is_falling.pdf