[meteorite-list] intriguing Question

From: Pat Brown <radio_ranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:41:00 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jasoon, Peter and the List,

Some thoughts on why the Sahara is so productive:

Another significant factor is the climate over the
past several thousand years. The sahara and parts of
the American southwest have been dry for a long time,
this increases the terrestrial recognizability time of
any meteorites that are there. The sahara has another
interesting and significant factor having to do with
the sand dunes; slowly moving dunes provide a soft
landing and a protective environment as meteorites are
covered by a slow moving dune. Later (sometimes much
later) meteorites are uncovered in great shape with
significant terrestrial age.

Another factor is economic; most of us in the US that
hunt meteorites do so on weekends and vacation time.
Our motivation is to get out in nature and do a bit of
'big science'. Many of the hunters in the sahara are
subsistance hunting, many are truely professional full
time hunters. I get in 25 days of meteorite hunting
tops per year, the locals in the sahara get in well
above 100 days per year in many cases. They have in
many cases spent their lives in the desert. I have
only spent a total of 10 or 12 weeks in the areas
where I hunt. They are better at seeing the odd rock.

A few American hunters that are retired and in good
health likely pass the 100 days per year in the field
hunting mark. I hope to be one of them in 12 or 13
years:)

Pat