[meteorite-list] NWA 4734

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:05:02 +0100

Hi Aziz, Martin, list

Nice that some of you could confirm that all NWA 4734 fragments belong to
one single stone and that the so far known total weight should be indeed
around 1412 g (or 1417 or 1422 g, depending if the Heirs' fragment was 40
or 44.5 or 50 g).
For the pairing affair, I roughly agree with Aziz and believe that
scientists would consider further investigations in that direction as this
really seems to be of interest.

I also received yesterday night (my time) a mail from Mbark Ait Lakid (also
nicknamed Oumama), in French, that I wish to send to the list as such, as
per his request, after my most reliable translation (my additional comments
or guesses are between brackets):
-------------
Dear Zelimir,

I am Mbark Ait Lkaid (nicknamed Oumama).
Thank you for your interest regarding NWA 4734; let me tell you the real
story about this meteorite:

I received 477 g (of that stone) that I sold to Habibi.
Then I further received another 895 g.
Habibi sent 20 g to (Albert) Jambon and its provisional classification (NB:
as I understand, performed by Jambon) resulted in the (provisional) name
NWA 4683.
Jambon knew that I owed the 895 g mass and visited me. I then offered him
20 g for the classification of these 895 g.
As it dealt with the very same stone, he (Jambon) made one single
classification and named both stones NWA 4734.

I was really surprised last week to read that the NomCom reported in Met.
Bull. does not mention that this further mass (895 g) was also analyzed,
but just stated that "several other pieces of the same stone are with M.
Oumama in Rissani"...
The 44.5 g that Chladni's (Heirs) purchased come from another dealer.

As a result, 2 big mistakes clearly remain, thus the (officially reported)
tkw (477 g instead of 1372 g) and the purchase place (Erfoud versus Rissani).
I hope my above statings could clear to some extent this issue.
I have no access to the "mailing list" so please could you inform the
meteoritical community about these facts so that they appear more clear to
all...

Respectfully,

Mbark
-----------
I can't add anything else but just note that Mbark's report confirms the
statements of Martin and Aziz.
Perhaps should one suggest the NomCom (Jeff ?) possibly takes into account
these remarks for a future correction of the Met. Bull. text regarding NWA
4734.

Best wishes,

Zelimir

NB: heredown is the original mail received from Mbark Ait Lkaid, in French:
-----------------
Bonsoir Dr.zelimir,
je suis mbark ait lkaid (mon surnom est mbark oumama).
merci pour l'interet que vous avez envers la nwa 4734.
je vais te raconter l'histoire reelle de cette m?t?orite.:
j'ai re?u 477gr que j'ai vendus ? Habibi puis j'ai re?u les autres pi?ces
faisant 895gr.
Habibi a envoy? 20gr ? Jambon et la classification provisoire ?tait sous
nwa 4683.
Jambon a su que je poss?de les 895gr et il m'a rendu visite .j'ai lui
offert 20gr pour une classification de 895.
et puisqu'il s'agit du meme caillou il a fait une seule classification sous
la nwa 4734.
je suis vraiment surpris la semaine deni?re quant j'ai vu au MB que la
nomcom ne declare pas au titre la masse analys? pourtant ils la glisset
entre ligne en utilisant juste mon surnom.
les 44.5gr de chladni's est achet?s d'un autre marchand.
donc deux grandes fautes sont bien claires : la masse (477gr/1372gr) et le
lieu de vente(Erfoud/Rissani).
j'?sp?re que j'ai pu eclaicir l'affaire un peu.
j'ai pas accc?s au mailling list.et je vous demande si vous le voulez bien
de renseigner la communaut? m?t?oritiques de ces faits pour toous sois claire.
respect,
mbark

A 06:03 23/01/2008 -0800, habibi abdelaziz a ?crit :

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Universit? de Haute Alsace
ENSCMu, Lab. GSEC,
3, Rue A. Werner,