[meteorite-list] TKW help -- Kem Kem??

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:36:11 -0800 (PST)

In 2000 (Might be 1999 or 2001, I cant remember
exactly) this was in BNWA (Before NWA) ex meteorite
dealer Michael Casper bought 300 kilos of meteorites
(300 kilos was a massive amount of meteorites at a
time when even weathered unclassified meteorites were
getting $3 a gram on ebay) that he was told was found
in the Kem Kem plain near the algerian border. I
bought some from this 300 kilo bunch (As did a lot of
other dealers and meteorites named "Kem Kem" was
showing up on ebay).
After seeing it in person I realized that this was a
very large number of strewnfields all mixed together
that Casper was selling. At around the same time the
meteoritical society was trying to decide how to
retain as much information as possible on all the
meteorites that were just being sold with no
particular pattern in morocco. Jeff Grossman in
particular went on a "fact finding" mission asking
dealers selling NWAs (They werent called NWAs back
then) what was happening and the best way to
accumulate as much info as possible on all of these
mixed meteorites (I remember him asking me if the
moroccans were cutting them up before selling them).
It soon became obvious that TKW and GPS coordinates
would not be known and it was decided by the met
society that the best way to deal with the less than
ideal (but nevertheless present) situation was to
create the NWA system that we all now all know and
love.
I dont know of anything other than this 300 kilos was
ever sold as Kem Kem. However, there are a lot of
NWA's that originally were a part of Caspers 300 kilos
of "Kem Kem". Bernd mentions a 14 gram eucrite and my
very own historical meteorite NWA001 originally came
from this 300 kilos of "Kem Kem". There are lots more
for sure as this "Kem Kem" was a very mixed group of
meteorites and at that time we all were under the
misguided notion that all meteorites from NWA would
eventually be classified (Wither they actually all
came from the Kem Kem plain or not is another matter
and will probably never be known).
Thats my Kem Kem memories anyway
Cheers
DEAN