[meteorite-list] meteorite hunting in Western Australia

From: Norbert & Heike Kammel <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:02:45 +1000

Hi Goeran/List,

just a quick note to remind you that Federal laws protect meteorites
found in Australia and it is an offence to export one without a permit.
*In Western Australia and South Australia legislation means that
meteorites are the property of the Government and must be lodged with an
appropriate Museum.* In other States, the finder is able to keep a
meteorite.
Also please keep in mind that the areas are VERY remote and not so easy
accessable.
It is advisable to travel at least with two relyable 4WD's, one driver
experienced in Outback travelling.
Even though it is now winter time and often rainy carry enough water and
food in case you get bogged. Also a SatPhone or HF Radio would be
adviseable to carry.
The better fields are more east from Kalgoolie, like the Camel Donga
strewnfield, in the Nullarbor Plain.

Anyway, Welcome to Australia, and have a great time.

Best regards from Down-Under,

Norbert Kammel
IMCA # 3420