[meteorite-list] meteorite hunting in Western Australia

From: Norbert & Heike Kammel <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:31:00 +1000

Hi Goeran,

unfortunately the laws governing the ownership of meteorites in
Australia are quite different in each of our States and Territories.

In Western Australia when you find a _meteorite_ it belongs to the State
and you should hand it in at the Perth museum,
but I assume that quite a few people have found interesting looking
_rocks_ (perhaps looking and feeling quite what others consider being
meteorites), but as not being an expert, these people just pic it up as
interesting rocks and keep them, what is quite legal. However, it would
be an offense if they later sell these _rocks_ as Australian
_meteorites_. You know what I mean?
I guess that's where most of the Millbillillie's come from. However, for
a lot of Australian meteorites which are adequately represented in
Australian institutions you will get a letter of clearance from the
museum. These blokes are not too bad at all, but they also have to abide
to the rules and police the law.

So, Mate, I assume you will _not go meteorite hunting_ but _go out
fossicking for unusual rocks_. And I hope you'll find some really nice
one's.
And if you find on this trip some new and really interesting meteorites,
even martian or some from Venus etc. please leave them where you saw
them so that others will have the same pleasure as you. Or not. :-\

All the very best Goeran, hope you have a great time. And take care out
there.

Best regards from Down-Under,

Norbert Kammel
IMCA # 3420