[meteorite-list] Re Cu meteorite

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:36:17 -0500

Hi, Darren, List,

    Good for you; you've landed on a controversy!
The existence (or non-existence) of cryometeors
and megacryometeors. The principal researcher of
this topic is Jes?s Mart?nez-Fr?as, author of:
http://tierra.rediris.es/publipapers/megacryometeors_ambio.pdf

    The record hailstone for the US is less than 8
inches in diameter but in 1995 in Zhejiang, China,
a block of ice roughly a meter on a side and
weghing about a ton was witnessed to fall.

    Cratering events are recorded. Are any of them
from "outer space"? Every cryometeor tested has
had the isotopic signature (deuterium) of plain ol'
earthly water...

    The question is: how the h*** does the atmosphere
form and support a one-ton block of ice? No theory
of the atmosphere even vauguely suggests any way...

    Oddly for such a large number of well-attested
events, most internet science forums and astronomy
sites routinely blow off questions about big chunks
of ice falling from the sky as urban myths, more UFO
fantasies, whacky ignorance...

    What? Rocks falling from the sky? Nonsense.

Sterling K. Webb